Reply To: It is more important for students to understand ideas and concepts than it is for them to learn facts

TOEFL, IELTS, Personal Statement and CV Proofreading Services. TOEFL Writing It is more important for students to understand ideas and concepts than it is for them to learn facts Reply To: It is more important for students to understand ideas and concepts than it is for them to learn facts

Administrator
University: University of Wisconsin
November 19, 2020 at 8:46 am

Partial Revision – further edits still needed

Today, more students learn facts in school rather than instead of understanding the ideas or concepts. Teachers only drive them to remember facts from those things in the books to improve exam scores get a great score in examinations. Explaining the theories is of more harshness and inefficiency. (rewrite previous sentence) Whereas, in my opinion, the understanding of ideas and concepts is much more important than facts. (include some supporting information here)

With the comprehension of ideas and concepts, students can learn and find the regulations (word choice error) of the world. This ability is crucial to a student’s further studies and life beyond school of great significance in our study and life in the future. As teachers will not cannot always company and be by our side to teach us, we have to be able to explore the world on our own someday. After knowing about the regulations (?), we can finally analyze the facts or examples without the teachers or the professors’ help. Just like the old saying goes, ‘Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime’.

For instance, I used to learn the narrative methods during my college time. I can analyze every other narratives, novels or theatres, according to them once I completely understand the methods. For instance, when reading Hamlet, written by Shakespeare, I can talk about how Shakespeare tells the story and how he portrays the characters or flourishes the feelings with my knowledge of the basic concepts. Concepts are the best tool to help us living and learning.

On the other hand, learning the facts also has its advantages. The most important thing is that facts can help us understand the ideas quckly. During the course of narrative methods, my professor has also given Hugo’s facts as an example. Otherwise, it will be really difficult for new students to understand the textbook terms. However, I still believe that the understanding of ideas is still principal, while the facts are only accessory.