Reply To: Were people friendlier in the past than they are today?

Administrator
University: University of Wisconsin
February 10, 2021 at 2:26 am

In [/During  ]my childhood, recalls from my grandparents [‘ recalls  ] about their old stories, even [with minimum  ] smallest details, had all left a deep impression on me. Those stories presented pure and close [ interpersonal ] relationships in the twentieth century. However, despite [Despite  ]more social connections [, which were primarily driven by the  ] through Internet nowadays, relations among people seem to be (drifting away) [dwindling  ]. Therefore, I have to admit [As such, I am congruent with the statement  ]that people in the past were friendlier than people are now.

First, human relationships become [are becoming  ] more complex, especially in business [increasingly commercialized and self-interested  ]. In today’s money-oriented world, [ many ] friendships [ derive from ]may be built on the basis of [the pursuit of  ]commercial profits. People are gradually getting accustomed to such a modern way of making friends. For instance, in [ In ]order to accomplish a successful bargain, both sides [of a business transaction  ]will [tend to  ]show friendliness to each other. But friendship behind such smiles on the surface is unstable. Once the bargain fails [,  ] to meet expectations of any side, their relationships [ the fabricated friendliness ]may break up subsequently. [evades.  ]

Besides, heavy burdens from work [pressure from the workplace also deprives many folks of the occasions where they could   ]make time too limited for people to express friendliness. After all, everyone has to cherish [their  ]time to fight for their survival. In order to meet deadlines, people [ , and therefore they need to prioritize professional obligations ]prioritize finishing their work rather than maintaining relationships with others. Therefore, people consider friendly chats as just a waste of time. Instead, they focus on their tight schedules, which makes [, thereby making  ]their relations more isolated.

By contrast, simplicity may be the best word to define people’s relationships in the past. For instance, before [ prior to the arrival of the ] maturity of [so-called  ]market economy in China, most of the university graduates [ had ]attained long-term jobs assigned by the government. Such stable work increased [ /fostered ] (cohesion in groups) [ gregarious cohesion ] since workers had fewer competitions. Under this circumstance, people found it easier to make good connections with their colleagues.

In a word, people’s friendliness keeps decreasing today. So [In light of this undesirable trend,  ] I think it is a must for us to discover [ing  ] the hidden friendliness and express it bravely, just like our older generations did [would perhaps benefit most of us.  ]