Reply To: If you are required to give feedback about your classmates/colleagues, would you like to give positive comments or negative comments first?

TOEFL, IELTS, Personal Statement and CV Proofreading Services. TOEFL Writing If you are required to give feedback about your classmates/colleagues, would you like to give positive comments or negative comments first? Reply To: If you are required to give feedback about your classmates/colleagues, would you like to give positive comments or negative comments first?

ziyichang
University: Zhejiang University
Nationality: China
April 21, 2021 at 4:50 am

Nowadays, we often have to corporate with our classmates or colleagues to finish big tasks. Thus, people have a heated debate over how to give feedback about their partners. As far as I am concerned, giving positive comments before negative comments is a better choice. I feel this way for two reasons, which I will explore in the following essay.

First of all, giving positive comments first is a more efficient way to cope with problems, and your comments are easy to accept because most people prefer to hear compliments from others rather than criticisms. Give positive comments first can let your partner know the advantage of their work. Thus, your classmates or colleagues can get your encouragement and are eager to improve their works. In this situation, your advice is critical for them. And they will accept these negative comments without reservation. For example, my physics teacher always praises our assignments, although most of us make many mistakes. After the positive comments, my teacher points out the errors we made. No one will be disappointed by these negative comments. We all listen to his advice modestly and accept his guidance. But the professor in my creative writing class prefers to give criticisms on our articles first. It is a terrible experience in this class. Each time I receive the professor’s comments, I really feel that my work is a mess. I totally don’t want to revise it, although the professor mentions some highlight points in my assignments in the end.

Furthermore, giving positive comments first can help us make a better impression on our co-workers and classmates. Expressing your appreciation is a great way to show your friendliness. If you give positive feedback friendly, everyone will feel your kindness and have a positive impression of you. There are many advantages follow. You can make more friends in school, otherwise you can maintain a benign relationship with your co-workers. Therefore, you can obtain more opportunities to collaborate with others, which means that you can establish excellent teams in your class or company.

In conclusion, giving positive comments first is more helpful.