Reply To: People today spend too much time on personal enjoyment doing things they like to do rather than doing things they should do

TOEFL, IELTS, Personal Statement and CV Proofreading Services. TOEFL Writing People today spend too much time on personal enjoyment doing things they like to do rather than doing things they should do Reply To: People today spend too much time on personal enjoyment doing things they like to do rather than doing things they should do

May 19, 2019 at 3:20 am

Final Edit

Balancing/Striking/Finding a balance between what we like and what we should do remains a challenge for most people. Also, more people seem to pay too much attention to personal enjoyment/pleasure-doing things rather than things they should do. However, from my observation, most people still spend enough time doing what they should do.

There are many reasons for people to make this choice. For example, students should finish homework to avoid parental punishment. Here the potential penalty may serve as a warning. Also, adults should focus on their work and finish it satisfactorily to get the/a promotion. In this case, promotion plays the role of as an inspiration. No matter what the motivation is, if people realize that these compulsory assignments are is beneficial, they will choose to do what they should do.

Take my roommate as an example. She is the least hardworking student in our dorm and it is rare for her to do anything related to academics. However, every time our teachers gave certain assignments, she would take careful notes and finish them before the deadline. This habit contributed to her excellence in most courses. Obviously, she spends much time on personal enjoyment/doing enjoyable things-doing things like watching TV. But it does not mean that she forgets to do things she should do. Another example comes from my father. He enjoys playing computer games so much that it is hard to imagine him forgetting this entertainment for even one (or ‘a single’) day one day he forgets this entertainment. Nevertheless, this recreation never negatively influences/impacts his work. Bbecause he knows that as an employee, he must put work before entertainment.

I have to admit that it is a trend that people begin spending/have begun to spend more and more time on what they like. However, it is of no doubt that people still devote enough energy to what they should do. Whether there is a punishment or an award may have something to do with this choice. But we must remember that it is people/individuals that make this determination for themselves.