Reply To: Living in a country where you have to speak a foreign language can cause serious social problems, as well as practical problems. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?

TOEFL, IELTS, Personal Statement and CV Proofreading Services. IELTS Writing Living in a country where you have to speak a foreign language can cause serious social problems, as well as practical problems. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement? Reply To: Living in a country where you have to speak a foreign language can cause serious social problems, as well as practical problems. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?

Popoko
University: ECUPL
Nationality: Chinese
March 17, 2020 at 5:52 am

People may worry that speaking a non-native language will cause problems. In my opinion, using a different language will lead to more practical issues than pressing social ones.

I believe living abroad will not cause a severe social effect. Firstly, one must have paid attention to the country’s touchy culture. So they know what to avoid. Secondly, most foreigners will accept your small mistakes as you show no offense to them. Thirdly, if you are in a key position representing the country, you must be adept at this language and culture. For example, the president usually avoid sensitive issues in the official talking. However, you can say whatever you want without being noticed. That is why your words cannot arouse the sociery’s attention.

On the other hand, there is a great impact on practical problems. For one, lacking of the daily language will bring on difficulties in catching what others are conveying. The unfamiliarity with the language will result in infinite inconvenience of completing the work. For another, people in different countries deal with problems in various ways. If you mess them up, it will turn out to be a misunderstanding. For instance, thumb up means “Good job” in China, while it is a way to take taxis in America and Europe. Thumb up is even an abusive gesture in Australia and some middle-east countries.

In conclusion, I hold the view that living in a foreign country can bring practical problems on, while it has less effect on grievous social matters.