怎样写东亚研究East Asian Studies博士申请个人陈述Statement of Purpose

TOEFL, IELTS, Personal Statement and CV Proofreading Services. Statement of Purpose with samples 怎样写东亚研究East Asian Studies博士申请个人陈述Statement of Purpose

• Kerichy
    University: Shandong University
    Nationality: China
    June 25, 2019 at 12:43 pm

怎样写东亚研究East Asian Studies博士申请个人陈述Statement of Purpose

Thanks to a lantern riddle book, I was introduced to several historical stories in the last year of my primary school, most of the stories were said to take place in the spring-autumn period. The most impressive one to me happens to be the first of “Zuo Zhuan”. The plots concerning the interaction between Duke Zhuang of Zheng and YingKao Uncle seems like a fairy tale, and I kept the memory of the explanation proposed by YingKao Uncle which referred to the word” HuangQuan” for a long time until I read its original version two years ago, the descriptions of the two sources see more similarities than differences so I started thinking about why did that story leave such a profound impression on me, then I found that the story appealed to me because it showed how an interpretation of certain words could exert immense impacts on people’s behaviors. It is interesting and also the first time I got in touch with examples showing how ancient Chinese thought and expressed their ideas.

Five or six years later, when I was in high school, one of my elder cousins who was also fond of reading lent me a book called” Laozi ”, it is written in simplified Chinese characters, I did not pay much attention to the translation , since I preferred to reading and reciting the texts directly even without accurate understanding of it. However, there was something actually caught my attention, it was the conception I got from the book which placed an emphasis on the unity of opposites. It was a fantastic experience for me, even though I learned nothing about “Taoism” at that time, the thoughts coming from thousands of years ago seemed to be entire wonders that attracted me a lot, all I can do is just try to catch the core of them. Then I also got interested in Shijing, as far as I was concerned, it was the real origin of ancient Chinese poems and none of the later works can supersede. It was the time I got to know something basically about Chinese literature in Pre-Qin, and I just regarded them as carriers of ancient thoughts came from numerous brilliant intellectuals.

Later in the university, as a student majored in mathematics, I was always busy with burdens of schoolwork and various assignments, in order to have a better understanding of the texts of Pre-Qin period, I attended several classes in School of Chinese Language and Literature, mainly concentrated on the interpretation of “Shijing”, with the analysis of the possible meaning of some chosen paragraphs. I learned the inner spirits and values of them, most of which still were based on emotions. However, only with the appreciation of literary techniques and emotional effects of such works did not satisfy me, so I turned to history, in the hope of finding more about the background of the texts and the possible effects of them on the society at that time, as well as the study in which other texts in the same period were taken into consideration.

Now after two years’ learning as a history postgraduate and extensive reading, my enthusiasm about ancient Chinese history always stimulates me to conduct further study and research on this project. My current research is more associated with Qin and Han dynasties, and since I started learning about the legalism last year, I was more familiar with classics like “Hanfeizi”、”Shangjunshu” and “Lvshichunnqiu”, also I learned “Xunzi” and “Zhuangzi”, then the topic of my master’s thesis is about the ethical values in Qin dynasty .   During the processes like consulting reference books, I realized gradually that it was important to get myself equipped with social science’s methods and theories, especially about anthropology and sociology. I was often too confused to finish a perfect analysis since I had not acquired such skills and knowledge on a comprehensive scale, while reading a few books relevant to the theme I was focusing on was just like picking fragments and does not quite help with my thinking ability. So I would like to make those up for my later development in a systematic way of learning during the period of my doctor’s study.

August 19, 2019 at 9:49 pm

Hi, please also add the SOP requirements (given by the program), as well as the program’s url, onto the top of your essay. Thanks!