Some people believe that a college or university education should be available to all students. Others believe that higher education should be available only to good students. Discuss these views. Which view do you agree with? Explain why.

TOEFL, IELTS, Personal Statement and CV Proofreading Services. GRE Writing Some people believe that a college or university education should be available to all students. Others believe that higher education should be available only to good students. Discuss these views. Which view do you agree with? Explain why.

• Manas
    University: Minzu University of China
    Nationality: Han
    December 16, 2020 at 5:27 pm

Some people believe that a college or university education should be available to all students. Others believe that higher education should be available only to good students. Discuss these views. Which view do you agree with? Explain why.

These two kinds of arguments from different groups seem respectively reasonable because of the existence of strengths behind them. After carefully thinking and comparing, I agree with the statement that higher education should be available only to good students. since in this way, both university and students can benefit a lot, reasons for my conclusion are as follows.

A large number of people may think it is unfair to make higher education only accessible to small proportions of students who do a great job in learning, and there is no doubt that encouraging every student to enter college and attend diverse classes, though some of them may be reluctant to devote, can effectively avoid the high rate of illiteracy in some extent and as a way to assure these students after graduation can meet the requirement of human resources from different industries.

However, the assumption supporting the above view is that those students who have equal chance to enjoy the education resources as other students also have enough intelligence and passion to deal with challenges from final semester test and then tide themselves over, which obviously fail to conform to the fact. Therefore, in my mind, allowing all students to enter college should only be used as a last resort. Comparing to other students, those students who are considered as good students usually grasp more learning skills and appreciate how to learn more efficiently and easily, these advantages are extremely paramount to succeed in school and motivate them to devote themselves to study in return. In contrast, permitting students who have neither great abilities nor enthusiasm to study in a university will do nothing but waste their cherished time.

Another reason why I think the university should operate as a filter to expel some students is that the capacity of dormitory, library, teaching building, and other infrastructures, which cost a fortune to build, is very limited. For instance, in my college, many students are currently difficult to find their own seat in the library for studying, though they wake up and go there early, let alone expansion of enrollment. Moreover, those students who don’t interested in learning compete with other students for cherished spaces and merely devote themselves to reading trivial fictions, watching soap operas, playing online games, and doing other things unnecessary even detrimental to school work. In contrast, the money used for expanding and renewing universities can be invested into better places like high-tech research fields if universities control the number of students being taught, so students can make full use of college resources to achieve their goals in scientific research.

December 16, 2020 at 10:08 pm

Score: 31.9

Issues:

1. About 80% of the sentences exceed 20 words. Most of them are unnecessarily lengthy. Simplify or split them.
    2. About 40% of the sentences are passive; convert them into their active counterparts. In consideration of sentence coherence, the subject of a sentence better echoes the subject, or the object, of the prior sentence. The subject of a passive sentence, however, often fails to do so, which severely damages the logical flow between sentences.
    3. Lengthy paragraphs. Restrict each paragraph to 120 words.

I will send you screenshots to illustrate specific problems/errors.