Some people say that arts subjects such as paintings or drawing should not be made compulsory for high school students. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

TOEFL, IELTS, Personal Statement and CV Proofreading Services. IELTS Writing Some people say that arts subjects such as paintings or drawing should not be made compulsory for high school students. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

• Tim Tsai
    University: Shanghai Sanda University
    Nationality: China
    July 9, 2020 at 5:15 pm

Some people say that arts subjects such as paintings or drawing should not be made compulsory for high school students. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

It is true that many people disapprove of obligatory arts courses for high school students. However, I disagree that arts subjects play an important role in students’ study and future career.

There are several main reasons why some people support art subjects to be optional. For starters, if compulsory arts subjects are cancelled, students in high school will be able to gain more leisure time, which helps them get more rests and relieve their academic pressure. It is known to all that most of high school students have hectic study nowadays in order to acquire better scores in the college entrance examination before graduating. Compared with the major subjects, arts classes seem to be less meaningful. In additional, considerable parents think there are hardly relationship between their children’s prospects and arts subjects like painting or drawing. For instance, few professions are related to arts at present, and most of arts occupations do not have high salary and promising future.

Despite the above arguments, I still believe that compulsory arts subjects in high school are vital and needed. The most valuable function of arts subjects is to cultivate and develop students’ aesthetic perception. When famous paintings and masterpieces are displayed by teachers in the class, students have the opportunity to access the artistic charm, which contributes to their future development in diverse dimensions. If students take part in arts activities like painting or drawing, their ability to create and innovate will increase spontaneously. Furthermore, there are great amounts of group work in arts subjects, especially in courses like making hand crafts. Students in China are not accustomed to collaboration for one production, and therefore arts class can be regarded as a course to teach students how to cooperate. Finally, arts subjects may increase students’ confidence. Some of high school students get poor academic performance, however, they may be talented in arts which can help them establish a clearer goal of future occupation.

In conclusion, arts subjects may have little direct positive feedback for students, but these classes would be beneficial to them in the long term.

July 10, 2020 at 9:52 pm

Score: 56.5

Issues:

1. About 40% of the sentences exceed 20 words. Shorten/split them.
    2. About 25% of the sentences are passive. Convert some of them into their active counterparts.
    3. Lengthy paragraphs. Restrict each paragraph to 90 words.
    4. The introductory paragraph fails to present a CLEAR/DIRECT thesis corresponding to the prompt. Rewrite the first paragraph.

I will send you screenshots to illustrate specific problems/errors.

Tim Tsai
    July 11, 2020 at 6:17 pm

Some people suggest that students should not have compulsory arts subjects in high school. I disagree with this view because I believe that art classes contribute greatly to students’ study and future career.

The main reason why those people support to cancel mandatory subjects like art because they reckon these classes cannot improve students’ grades in their examinations directly. Most parents would like to concentrate on their children’s academic performance rather than considering the potential positive impact of arts subjects on their children. In addition, a majority of parents think there are almost no relation between their children’s prospects and arts subjects like painting or drawing. For instance, few professions are related to art at present, and most of occupations related to arts are not well-paid or promising.

In my opinion, compulsory arts subjects in high school are vital and needed. Students nowadays have heavy workload at school in order to achieve better score in the college entrance examination. However, arts subjects can ease their academic pressure and prevent them from continuous high-intensity studying. Furthermore, a valuable function of arts subjects is to cultivate and develop students’ aesthetic perception. When famous paintings and masterpieces are displayed by teachers in the class, students would have the opportunity to access the artistic charm, which is conducive to their future development in diverse dimensions. If students take part in art activities like painting or drawing, their ability to create and innovate will increase spontaneously. Finally, there are great amounts of group work in arts subjects, especially in courses like making handcrafts. Students in China are unfamiliar with collaboration for one production, and therefore art classes can be regarded as a course to teach students how to cooperate with each other.

In conclusion, arts subjects may have little direct positive feedback for students, but the significant importance of these compulsory classes should not be ignored, which would benefit them in the long term.

July 15, 2020 at 3:53 pm

Score: 49.1

Issues:

1. About 50% of the sentences exceed 20 words. Shorten/split them.
    2. About 20% of the sentences are passive. Convert some of them into their active counterparts.
    3. Lengthy paragraphs. Restrict each paragraph to 90 words.

Tim Tsai
    July 16, 2020 at 5:21 pm

Some people suggest that students should not have compulsory arts subjects in high school. I disagree with this view because I believe that art classes contribute to students’ study and future careers to a large extent.

The main reason why those people support to cancel mandatory subjects like art because they reckon these classes cannot improve students’ grades in their examinations directly. Most parents would like to concentrate on their children’s academic performance rather than considering the potential positive impact of arts subjects on their children. Besides, a majority of parents think there is almost no relation between their children’s prospects and arts subjects like painting or drawing. For instance, few professions related to art at present, in most cases, are not well-paid or promising.

In my opinion, compulsory arts subjects in high school are vital and needed. Students nowadays are hectic at school to achieve a better score in the college entrance examination. However, arts subjects can ease their academic pressure and prevent them from continuous high-intensity studying. Furthermore, a valuable function of arts subjects is to cultivate and develop students’ aesthetic perception. Students would have the opportunity to access the artistic charm when they enjoy famous paintings and masterpieces in the class, which is conducive to their future development in diverse dimensions. If students take part in art activities like painting or drawing, their ability to create and innovate will increase spontaneously. Finally, there are huge amounts of group work in arts subjects, especially in courses like making handcrafts. Students in China are unfamiliar with collaboration for one production, and therefore art classes also contribute to teaching students how to cooperate with others.

In conclusion, notwithstanding arts subjects may have little direct positive feedback for students, the significant importance of these compulsory classes should not be ignored, which would benefit them in the long term.

July 17, 2020 at 3:11 pm

Score: ungraded

Issues:

1. Lengthy paragraphs. Restrict each paragraph to 90 words.
    2. Lots of sentences are confusing.
    3. About 50% of the sentences exceed 20 words. Shorten/split them.