Can the academic results be the only standard to select students,discuss both

TOEFL, IELTS, Personal Statement and CV Proofreading Services. IELTS Writing Can the academic results be the only standard to select students,discuss both

• qyf43
    University: east china university of political science and law
    Nationality: china
    March 27, 2020 at 3:40 am

The issue of whether academic abilities should be served as an only reliable standard in terms of selecting students has sparked off an intense debate. In this essay, I aim to discuss both sides of the problem and put up my own opinion.

On one hand, advocates of the academic results claim that it is more effective as well as fairer for schools to adopt an academy-oriented approach to select students. To begin with, schools are set up to fulfill the educational function of imparting a great amount of knowledge to students, while students go to school mainly for the purpose of fostering academic ability. Accordingly, it is understandable that some take it for granted that academic results can serve as an effective benchmark for assessing students’ capability. Besides this,  it is a relatively objective and fair assessment system to all students and better reduces the dispute of unfair treatment.  Other than academic mark, educators find it difficult to compare the ability of students who are proficient at painting and who are skillful at sports. Whoever is chosen by schools could not ensure the absolute fairness and objectivity of the selection.

On the other hand, opponents of only concentrating on academic abilities argue that the academic result is by no means an exclusive way to evaluate students’ capabilities. Firstly, schools are not a place where students are turned into pedants. Instead, it is considered as an educational platform for students to develop their versatile skills and grow into a person who gets accustomed to the needs of the society. Only focusing on academic skills inevitably leads many who are short of academic study but good at other subjects to lose opportunities to promote their talents. In addition, if students with different abilities can study together, it is out of question that all the students will benefit from such a combination.

To conclude, I concede that judging students by academic ability helps schools select proper students. Nevertheless, I am convinced that allowing students with many talents to study together outweighs the former view.