Some first-year college students do not have good study habits. Some people believe that colleges should provide all of the first-year students with a required course to develop their good study habits. Other people believe that providing this kind of course is unnecessary. What is your opinion and why?

TOEFL, IELTS, Personal Statement and CV Proofreading Services. TOEFL Writing Some first-year college students do not have good study habits. Some people believe that colleges should provide all of the first-year students with a required course to develop their good study habits. Other people believe that providing this kind of course is unnecessary. What is your opinion and why?

• ysyyao123
    University: Hunan Normal Univeristy
    Nationality: CHINA
    January 31, 2020 at 3:47 pm

Some first-year college students do not have good study habits. Some people believe that colleges should provide all of the first-year students with a required course to develop their good study habits. Other people believe that providing this kind of course is unnecessary. What is your opinion and why?

Education, especially high-level education, is of great importance to cultivate students’ creativity and independence, which may mislead some people to claim that required class is unmeaningful to college students. However, such a statement suffers from logical and factual fallacies, and it should be examined more meticulously. As far as study efficiency and effective administration are concerned, I strongly hold that setting up a course about study habits is necessary.

First and foremost, providing study skill course can fairly and immediately improve students’ study efficiency. It is hard to deny that, at the beginning, students’ poor academic performances is resulted from differences between college study and the former ones, or students have no idea about studying with novel equipment, like libraries, labs, employment center and etc. While during the class, students are able to know about some instructions and then they would never be hesitated to study. Meanwhile, through the class, students can gain other methodologies which can highly improve their study efficiency, like group-work study, mind-mapping, on-line courses and so on, instead of frittering away much time for endless self-study.

Furthermore, the fact that, in terms of college workers, study habits course can contribute them to avoid repetitive work, indicates such a course is essential to effective administration of campus. Imagine if students do not learn how to use look-up system through computers in libraries, faculties there would answer the same question thousands of times a day, taking up much time for other work.

Admittedly, a voice arises that some self-controlled students have no necessity to take the course, while I have to say systematic study can maximize study effect, then generates higher commonality and efficiency on a macro level. Not to mention that students who are confused or fear of communicating with others, required class is a meaningful tool to answer their questions.

As a result, I maintain that required class is beneficial to students and the whole college. While some people may oppose me, I believe they will compromise after being exposed to my article.

February 1, 2020 at 7:44 pm

Score: 52.4

Issues:

1. The essay exceeds the optimal length of 320 words;
    2. About 70% of the sentences exceed 20 words. Shorten/split them;
    3. More than 30% of the sentences are passive. Convert them into their active counterparts.

I will send you screenshots to illustrate specific problems/errors.

ysyyao123
    February 2, 2020 at 7:16 am

Education, especially high-level education, is of great importance to cultivating students’ creativity and independence, which may mislead some people to claim that colleges should not be able to set a required course for college students. However, such a statement suffers from both logical and factual fallacies. As far as study efficiency and work effect are concerned, I tend to claim setting up a course about study habits is necessary.

First and foremost, providing the course can immediately improve students’ study efficiency. It is hard to deny that differences between college and high-school results in poor academic performances. To be specific, students have no idea about studying with novel equipment, like libraries, labs, employment center, and etc. While during the course, students are going to know about some instructions. Meanwhile, through the course, students can gain other methodologies to improve their study efficiency, like group-work study, mind-mapping, on-line courses, and so on, instead of frittering away much time for endless self-study.

Furthermore, the fact that study habits course can make college workers avoid repetitive work indicates such a course is essential to improving work effect of the campus. Imagine if students do not learn how to use the look-up system through computers in libraries, faculties there would answer the same question thousands of times during a day.

However, a voice arises that some self-controlled students have no necessity to take the course. While I have to say systematic study can maximize study effect, then generates higher commonality and efficiency on a macro level. Not to mention that students who are confused in communicating with others, taking a course is a effective tool to answer their questions.

As a result, I maintain that the course is beneficial to students and the whole college. While some people may oppose me, I believe they will compromise after the exposure to my article.

February 3, 2020 at 8:44 pm

Score: 51

Issues:

1. Nearly 50% of the sentences exceed 20 words. Shorten/split them.

I will send you screenshots to illustrate specific problems/errors.

ysyyao123
    February 5, 2020 at 5:02 am

Education, especially high-level education, is of paramount importance to cultivating students’ creativity and independence. The fact may mislead some people to claim that it is not sensible to set up required courses in college. However, such a statement suffers from logical and factual fallacies. As far as I am concerned, arranging a studying skill course for first-year students is necessary.

First and foremost, providing the course can immediately improve students’ study efficiency. In fact, differences between college and high-school results in students’ poor academic performances. Some first-year students might be afraid of presentations or group-works. Others are not able to make an efficient schedule, just frittering away much time for endless self-study. To solve these problems, there are some studying instructions and methodologies within the course, and it will improve their study efficiency as soon as possible.

Furthermore, the course is essential to improving faculties’ work efficiency. For example, when I was a freshman on campus, there was no cause to tell me how to use a look-up system through computers. One day, when I was in trouble, the faculty in the library came and taught me to use it. Then she said she have answered the same question hundreds of times during a day. In contrast, if the guidance had already been included in the course, the faculty would have more time to deal with other things.

Admittedly, a voice arises that self-controlled students have no necessity to take the course. However, they might make some mistakes without professional guidance. Besides, for students who are originally confused about studying or communicating, the course is the most effective and efficient tool to solve their problems.

As a result, I maintain that the course is beneficial to students and the whole college. While some people may oppose me, I believe they will compromise after the exposure to my article.

February 5, 2020 at 10:37 pm

Score: 58.9

I will get back to you shortly.

February 6, 2020 at 4:41 pm

Education, especially high-level (change to “higher”) education, is of paramount importance (simplify) to cultivating students’ creativity and independence. The fact (change to “this”) may mislead some people to claim that it is not sensible to set up required courses in college (wordy – simplify). However, such a statement suffers from logical and factual fallacies. As far as I am concerned (change to “In my opinion”), arranging a studying (delete) skill(s) course for first-year students is necessary.

First and foremost, providing the course can immediately improve students’ study (delete) efficiency. In fact, differences between college and high-school results in students’ poor academic performances (too vague). Some first-year students might be afraid of presentations or group-works (singular). Others are not able (change to “unable”) to make an efficient schedule, just frittering away much time for (preposition error) endless self-study. To solve these problems, there are some (change to “we should include”) studying instructions and methodologies within the course, and it will (wrong verb) improve their study efficiency as soon as possible (unnecessary).

Furthermore, the course is essential to improving faculties(change to “administration”) work (delete) efficiency. For example, when I was a freshman on campus, there was no cause (chose different word) to tell me how to use a look-up system through (preposition error) computers. One day, when I was in trouble, the faculty in the library came and taught me to use it. Then she said she have answered the same question hundreds of times during a day (combine two previous sentences). In contrast, if the guidance had already been included in the course, the faculty would have more time to deal with other things.

Admittedly, a voice arises that self-controlled students have no necessity to take the course (delete). However, they might make (While there might be) some mistakes without professional guidance (during the implementation of the course). Besides (Additionally), for students who are originally confused about studying or communicating, the course is the most effective and efficient tool to solve their problems.

As a result, I maintain that the course is beneficial to students and the whole college. While some people may oppose me, I believe they will compromise after the exposure to my article (unnecessary – delete).