Group assignments that students must work together to complete should replace a substantial amount of traditional lecture-based instruction in college and university courses.

TOEFL, IELTS, Personal Statement and CV Proofreading Services. GRE Writing Group assignments that students must work together to complete should replace a substantial amount of traditional lecture-based instruction in college and university courses.

• Ariel0616
    University: National Cheng Kung University
    Nationality: Taiwan
    August 7, 2021 at 2:38 pm

Group assignments that students must work together to complete should replace a substantial amount of traditional lecture-based instruction in college and university courses.

The argument seems to assume that, for college students, the more time spent on group assignments and discussions, the more advantages they can obtain, comparing to old-school instructions given by professors or teachers. However, I disagree with the allegation that group assignments should replace most of the traditional lectures.

Students primarily learn from listening to their teachers’ suggestions as well as conducting the behaviors instructed of respectable adults. In other words, fundamental knowledge and skills basically are gained by instructions. Therefore, it is important for college students to absorb the content directly taught by professors since colleges and universities are just the first phase for students to step into the academic fields that require more professional competence.

Further more, lectures are possibly the simplest way to give and receive the course contents and this method has been adopted for years. Besides, lecture-based instructions are perhaps the most comfortable learning strategy for most college students and professors. If certain amount of courses are decided to be replaced by group assignments, a thorough plan of making college students and instructors able to get enough time to adjust their attitudes toward the change and to prepare well for group assignments must be developed.

Some people may argue that group discussions help college students to learn about cooperate with others, so it is beneficial for colleges and universities to turn most of their courses into group assignments. I agree with the claim at some point that group assignments is good for college students, but they are definitely not the only ways to build collaborating experience. In my point of view, there’s a great deal of opportunities for college students, other than group assignments, to gain the experience of working with peers, such as joining science clubs, attending practices of a school symphony, even forming a innovative start-up company with several classmates.

In conclusion, I believe it’s not necessary for schools to replace most of the lecture-based instructions and hand out substantial group assignments to college students. Colleges and universities should considerate comprehensively if they’re planning to do so.

August 28, 2021 at 3:40 am

Add my WeChat and remind me of sending you screenshot reviews.