It is commonly believed that in life, success is not the most important thing; it is more important to remain happy and optimistic when we fail. Do you agree with that idea?

TOEFL, IELTS, Personal Statement and CV Proofreading Services. TOEFL Writing It is commonly believed that in life, success is not the most important thing; it is more important to remain happy and optimistic when we fail. Do you agree with that idea?

• Leticia
    University: PKU
    Nationality: China
    August 30, 2020 at 2:47 pm

It is commonly believed that in life, success is not the most important thing; it is more important to remain happy and optimistic when we fail. Do you agree with that idea?

Undoubtedly, everyone desires to achieve success and inevitably feels depressed when the work comes to nothing. However, whether success is more important than keeping a good mood in failure is a heavily debated issue. Some people assert that success is not as important as remaining happy and optimistic when we fail, while others hold the opposite view. Personally, the former point of view, I believe, is more reasonable, especially when the following reasons are considered.

Firstly, putting too much emphasis on success, from my perspective, does more harm than good. Frankly speaking, the true meaning of life is far beyond the pursuit of success. Admittedly, an ambitious goal can motivate us to work harder and exploit our potential. Nevertheless, successful people are in the minority and thus prioritizing success brings about much stress, which may affect our health. Regarding success as the most important thing in life, in my view, will not only deprive us of the fun of life to a certain degree, but also probably bring about much pressure, even followed by depression and pessimism.

Considering that failure is a frequent occurrence, keeping a good mood after failure is necessary in that optimism is the basic key to getting out of the woods. Without optimism, chances are that you will be trapped in self-accusation which will definitely block your way to make progress.

Admittedly, blind optimism after failure will exert a negative influence on us. One who thinks that success will just come effortlessly is simply daydreaming. What we truly need after failure is detailed reflection and positive attitudes accompanied by high morale and sufficient effort.

In conclusion, while blind optimism after failure is unwise, I still agree with the idea that success is not the most important thing in life and remaining happy and optimistic when we fail is more important.

September 1, 2020 at 9:14 pm

Score: 54.1

Issues:

1. About 30% of the sentences exceed 20 words. Shorten/split them.
    2. About 20% of the sentences are passive. Convert some of them into their active counterparts.
    3. Remove irrelevant arguments. (i.e. However, whether success is more important than keeping a good mood in failure is a heavily debated issue. Some people assert that success is not as important as remaining happy and optimistic when we fail, while others hold the opposite view. )

I will send you screenshots to illustrate specific problems/errors.