Living in a country where you have to speak a foreign language can cause serious social problems, as well as practical problems. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?

TOEFL, IELTS, Personal Statement and CV Proofreading Services. IELTS Writing Living in a country where you have to speak a foreign language can cause serious social problems, as well as practical problems. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?

• Nora
    University: Shanxi University
    Nationality: China
    April 17, 2020 at 3:15 am

Living in a country where you have to speak a foreign language can cause serious social problems, as well as practical problems. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?

I tend to subscribe to the idea that there are several social and practical problems when people come to a country where they need to speak a foreign language. However, I suppose that most people can solve these problems and have a sense of belonging with time.

Firstly, nearly every country has its own language with a long history which includes unique culture and tradition, so it is hard for newcomers to know and understand all of the rules of using language in a short time. Therefore, it will cause social difficulties if people misuse the language.

Furthermore, practical problems are also serious. For example, a native company prefers to recruit natives rather than foreigners, especially for sales departments, because people feel familiar and safe to people who have the same skin, hair color and accent as themselves, and then people are highly likely to buy products from these natives. So most newcomers need to work harder to get a decent job.

Besides, I want to say that it is not that difficult to have a sense of community in a foreign country. For example, I know that many friends of mine have a happy life and a decent job in foreign countries, and they told me that as long as you respected their lifestyle and were brave enough to communicate with more people, it was quite easy to have the feeling of belonging.

In conclusion, there are social and practical troubles for people who are living in a foreign country, but they can solve them in some ways.

April 22, 2020 at 10:47 pm

Score: ungraded

Issues:

1. About 60% of the sentences exceed 20 words. Shorten/split them.
    2. About 20% of the sentences are passive. Convert some of them into their active counterparts.

I will send you screenshots to illustrate specific problems/errors.