Living in a country where you have to speak a foreign language can cause serious social problems, as well as practical problems. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?

TOEFL, IELTS, Personal Statement and CV Proofreading Services. IELTS Writing Living in a country where you have to speak a foreign language can cause serious social problems, as well as practical problems. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?

• Popoko
    University: ECUPL
    Nationality: Chinese
    February 25, 2020 at 7:02 am

Living in a country where you have to speak a foreign language can cause serious social problems, as well as practical problems. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?

It is true that living abroad and speaking the language that is not your mother tongue may sometimes cause problems. In my opinion, those will not lead to serious social problems, but they do result in practical problems.

I believe serious social problems will not be easily caused. Firstly, before going abroad, one must have learnt the country’s unique culture, which means they should have known what kind of problems must be noticed. Secondly, most foreigners understand that we show no offense to them, so they can accept that we may make mistakes. Thirdly,  your words cannot affect the society if you are only a normal people living abroad, unless you are in an important position representing the country, that means you must be adept at this language and culture. For example, the president obviously will not say anything causing social problems, but you can say whatever you want in your own house without being noticed.

On the other hand, practical problems can be usually caused. For one, most people living abroad for the first time ususally have not got used to the practical usage, which can leads to misunderstanding and difficulties in catching what others are saying. For another, people in different countries deal with problems in dissimilar ways. If you mess them up, it will turn out to be confusion. For instance, thumbs up means “Good job” in China. However, it is a way to take taxis in America and Europe, while it is an abusive gesture in Australia and some middle east countries.

In conclusion, I hold the view that living in a foreign language can bring practical problems on, while it has lesser effect on serious social problems.

February 26, 2020 at 2:59 am

Score: ungraded

Issues:

1. More than 40% of the sentences exceed 20 words. Shorten/split them.
    2. More than 10% of the sentences are passive. Convert some of them into their active counterparts.

I will send you screenshots to illustrate specific problems/errors.

Popoko
    February 27, 2020 at 11:11 am

People may worry that speaking a foreign language will cause problems. In my opinion, using a different language will not lead to serious social issues, while affecting practical ones.

I believe living abroad will not cause severe social effect. Firstly, before going abroad, one must have paid attention to the country’s unique culture, including touchy topics. Secondly, most foreigners will accept your small mistakes as you show no offence to them. Thirdly, your words cannot arouse the society’s attention, unless you are in a key position representing the country which means you must be adept at this language and culture. For example, the president will avoid any sensitive issues in the conversation, but you can say whatever you want without being noticed.

On the other hand, there is a great impact on pratical problems. For one, most people living overseas for the first time will have difficulties in catching what others are saying, because they know little about the daily language. This will result in huge inconvenience when we are at work. For another, people in different countries deal with problems in various ways. If you mess them up, it will turn out to be a misunderstanding. For instance, thumb up means “Good job” in China, while it is a way to take taxis in America and Europe as well as an abusive gesture in Australia and some middle-east countries.

In conclusion, I hold the view that living in a foreign country can bring practical problems on, while it has less effect on grievous social matters.

March 4, 2020 at 5:56 pm

Score: 65.4

Issues:

1. Nearly 40% of the sentences exceed 20 words. Shorten/split them.

Popoko
    March 12, 2020 at 6:14 am

People may worry that speaking a foreign language will cause problems. In my opinion, using a different language will not lead to pressing social issues, while affecting practical ones.

I believe living abroad will not cause a severe social effect. Firstly, one must have paid attention to the country’s unique culture before going abroad, including touchy topics. Secondly, most foreigners will accept your small mistakes as you show no offense to them. Thirdly, if you are in a key position representing the country, whose words illustrate the country’s value, you must be adept at this language and culture. Otherwise your words cannot arouse the society’s attention. For example, the president will avoid sensitive issues in the conversation, while you can say whatever you want without being noticed.

On the other hand, there is a great impact on practical problems. For one, as most people know little about the daily language when living overseas for the first time, they will have difficulties in catching what others are conveying. The unfamiliarity with the language will result in infinite inconvenience when we are at work. For another, people in different countries deal with problems in various ways. If you mess them up, it will turn out to be a misunderstanding. For instance, thumb up means “Good job” in China, while it is a way to take taxis in America and Europe. Thumb up is even an abusive gesture in Australia and some middle-east countries.

In conclusion, I hold the view that living in a foreign country can bring practical problems on, while it has less effect on grievous social matters.

March 13, 2020 at 2:09 am

Score: 64.6

Issues:

1. About 30% of the sentences exceed 20 words. Shorten/split them.

Popoko
    March 17, 2020 at 5:52 am

People may worry that speaking a non-native language will cause problems. In my opinion, using a different language will lead to more practical issues than pressing social ones.

I believe living abroad will not cause a severe social effect. Firstly, one must have paid attention to the country’s touchy culture. So they know what to avoid. Secondly, most foreigners will accept your small mistakes as you show no offense to them. Thirdly, if you are in a key position representing the country, you must be adept at this language and culture. For example, the president usually avoid sensitive issues in the official talking. However, you can say whatever you want without being noticed. That is why your words cannot arouse the sociery’s attention.

On the other hand, there is a great impact on practical problems. For one, lacking of the daily language will bring on difficulties in catching what others are conveying. The unfamiliarity with the language will result in infinite inconvenience of completing the work. For another, people in different countries deal with problems in various ways. If you mess them up, it will turn out to be a misunderstanding. For instance, thumb up means “Good job” in China, while it is a way to take taxis in America and Europe. Thumb up is even an abusive gesture in Australia and some middle-east countries.

March 22, 2020 at 12:06 am

Score: 67.9

People may worry that speaking a non-native language will cause problems [ logical incompleteness ]. In my opinion, using a different language will lead to more practical issues than pressing social ones[unclear  ].

I believe living abroad will not cause a severe social effect[wrong word  ]. Firstly, one must have paid attention to the country’s touchy culture. [choppy sentence  ]So they know what to avoid. Secondly, most foreigners will accept your[ shift of person ] small mistakes as you[shift of person  ] show no offense to them. Thirdly, if you are in a key position [ unclear ]representing the country, you must be adept at this language and culture. For example, the president [ unclear -President ]usually avoid sensitive issues in the [ article error ]official talking. However, you can say whatever you want without being noticed[logical incompleteness  ]. That is why your words cannot arouse the sociery’s[wrong word  ] attention.

On the other hand, there is a great impact on practical problems[unclear  ]. For one[wrong phrase  ], lacking[ wrong word ] of the daily language will bring on[ preposition error ] difficulties in catching what others are conveying. The unfamiliarity with the language will result in infinite inconvenience of completing the work. For another, people in different countries deal with problems in various ways. If you mess them up, it will[absolute writing  ] turn out to be a misunderstanding. For instance, thumb up means “Good job” in China, while it is a way to take[ wrong word ] taxis in America and Europe. Thumb up is even an abusive gesture in Australia and some middle-east [ spelling error ]countries.

In conclusion, I hold the view that living in a foreign country can bring practical problems on[preposition error  ], while it has less effect on grievous social matters.