Nowadays, many movies or films are based on books. Some people prefer to read the original book before they watch the movie, others prefer to watch the movie before reading the book. Which one do you prefer?

TOEFL, IELTS, Personal Statement and CV Proofreading Services. TOEFL Writing Nowadays, many movies or films are based on books. Some people prefer to read the original book before they watch the movie, others prefer to watch the movie before reading the book. Which one do you prefer?

• Elsa
    University: Peking Union Medical College
    Nationality: China
    November 10, 2019 at 2:04 pm

TOEFL Writing Topic: Nowadays, many movies or films are based on books. Some people prefer to read the original book before they watch the movie, others prefer to watch the movie before reading the book. Which one do you prefer?

Movies are one of the most common ways for people to take a break; nowadays, some movies are adapted from books which are very famous. Some people prefer to watch movies before reading original books. However, in my opinion, I refuse to watch them if I have not read novels.

To begin with, watching movies firstly can limit imagination. It cannot deny that reading books can give people a picture of the whole scene that they describe in the book, which is the most attractive point. But provided that people watch films before reading books, they will just receive one kind of the description of plots. Meanwhile, people must be disappointed about movies when they find the scene is different from what they read in the book. For instance, before I read ‘Harry Potter’ seven, I saw the movie and I dislike it because the whole scene was depicted in dark and chaotic. Owing to this, I refused to read the book. However, when I saw the original book under my friend’s enforcement, I found it was a wonderful novel. So, under this experience, I prefer to read books firstly.

Second, reading books before watching films helps people save money. As we all know, the price of movie’s ticket is high. And people will definitely feel unhappy when they find they dislike the movies. Reading books, however, can avoid this problem. Before watching films, people could read books to find out if they like it, and then they can decide whether they should pay for the movies. I used to watch a film named ‘When I was young’, a movie adapted from a novel written by Lao Lang, but I think it was a terrible movie. If I had had read the book, I could not go to the cinema and wasted money. Therefore, I would like to read books before watching movies.

In conclusion, owing to all the factors and opinions that I mentioned above, I prefer to read books before watching movies.

November 11, 2019 at 1:59 am
    • TOEFL Writing Topic: Nowadays, many movies or films are based on books. Some people prefer to read the original book before they watch the movie, others prefer to watch the movie before reading the book. Which one do you prefer?

Score: Ungraded

Problem: Redundant

Movies are one of the most common ways for people to take a break; [Punctuation error  ]nowadays, some movies are adapted from books which are very famous. Some people prefer to watch movies[ plagiarized content  ] before reading original books. However, in my opinion,[ redundant ] I refuse to watch them if I have not read [  article error]novels.

To begin with, watching movies firstly can limit imagination. It [ unclear pronoun ]cannot deny that reading books can give people a picture of the whole scene that they describe[ grammatical error ] in the book, which is the most attractive point[ unclear ]. But[wrong coordinating word  ] provided that people watch films before reading books, they will[ tense error ] just receive one kind of the description of plots. Meanwhile, people must be[BE verb  ] disappointed about movies when they find the scene is [ grammatical error ]different from what they read in the book. For instance, before I read ‘Harry Potter’ seven, I saw [ grammatical error ]the movie and I dislike[  grammatical error] it because the whole scene was depicted in dark and chaotic. Owing to this, I refused to read the book. However, when I saw [ wrong word ]the original book under my friend’s enforcement, I found it was a wonderful novel. So, under[  wrong preposition] this experience, I prefer to read books firstly.

[Sorry, I cannot complete the review of this essay since it contains numerous errors. Please study the Writing Tips. Thanks!]

Second, reading books before watching films helps people save money. As we all know, the price of movie’s [ wrong word ]ticket is high. And [ coordinating word error ]people will definitely feel unhappy when they find they dislike the movies. Reading books, however, can avoid this problem. Before watching films, people could read books to find out if they like it, and then they can decide whether they should pay for the movies. I used to watch a film named ‘When I was young’, a movie adapted from a novel written by Lao Lang, but I think it was a terrible movie. If I had had read the book, I could not go to the cinema and wasted money. Therefore, I would like to read books before watching movies.

In conclusion, owing to all the factors and opinions that I mentioned above, I prefer to read books before watching movies.