Nowadays many people have access to computers on a wide basis and a large number of children play computer games. What are the negative and positive impacts of playing computer games and what can be done to minimise the bad effects? (Full Score)

TOEFL, IELTS, Personal Statement and CV Proofreading Services. IELTS Writing Samples (Band 9)  Nowadays many people have access to computers on a wide basis and a large number of children play computer games. What are the negative and positive impacts of playing computer games and what can be done to minimise the bad effects? (Full Score)

• October 6, 2019 at 12:23 am

IELTS Writing Sample: Nowadays many people have access to computers on a wide basis and a large number of children play computer games.

What are the negative and positive impacts of playing computer games and what can be done to minimise the bad effects?

All children like to play games. It is a natural part of growing up. But the form that these games can take differs according to location and time. For example, in previous centuries children did not have the opportunity to spend their time playing with digital devices. They often spent their time doing more useful things or playing sports with the other children. I wonder if the games children played 100 years ago might not have had many advantages.

Of course computer games are very popular and that is one reason parents allow children to spend their time in this way even though the parents often do not know what their children are looking at. It is the same with the television. These can be distractions that let parents have more free time, so it’s easier to accept computer games into the home.

Most video games nowadays are war games. However, learning these skills at an age when children’s minds are very impressionable seems to be dangerous. It is true that children can improve their hand-to-eye coordination, but that is not a major benefit. I think it is bad for them to learn about destroying things.

Most of the games in old times were about communication between children and physical exercise. But nowadays there are many children who spend far too much time playing computer games. In fact, everyone is far too involved with devices like smartphones, which in my opinion is probably more dangerous than children playing video games. [250 words]