Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Only movies that can teach us something about real life are worth watching.

TOEFL, IELTS, Personal Statement and CV Proofreading Services. TOEFL Writing Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Only movies that can teach us something about real life are worth watching.

• Binhe Lu
    University: University of International Business and Economics
    Nationality: China
    September 20, 2019 at 2:40 am

TOEFL Writing Topic: Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Only movies that can teach us something about real life are worth watching.

More and more people expect movies to teach something in reality. They even claim the movies which cannot live up to their expectation are not worth watching at all. In their eyes, the point of movies is no more than education function. From my perspective, it is unadvisable to omit other significance meaning of watching movies.

It is true that the educational significance is an essential factor to judge a movie. The cartoon movie, Coco, is so moving that almost everyone weeps for it. It teaches people to treasure family whenever and wherever. However, the success of this movie attributes to more elements than its educational meaning. For example, movie settings’ aesthetic value attracts many art lovers. The colorful settings in movie not only provide them visual enjoyment but also enable them to know more about Mexico culture. During just two hours, the viewer can feel as if he or she is wandering through a beautiful city in Mexico. If the film producer does not realize the aesthetic value of the film, the film may lose its appeal. Consequently, aesthetic and cultural value also plays an important role in movie review.

Additionally, to watch a movie sometimes has nothing to do with the movie itself. People may watch movies to maintain good relationship with family, to find common topics with friend or simply to get relaxed. Take my own experience as example. In family hours, we usually choose comedic films to watch together. I cannot remember the plots of these films, but I still remember the good time we spent together. Moreover, my friends and I watch romantic movies from time to time and discuss the popular actors and actress. In order to relieve stress, I would like to watch action movies and switch off from school work. In these circumstances, if the movie is educational becomes negligible.

In a nutshell, movie review includes more factors besides educational value. Plus, watching movies is not just about movies. To claim that movies are worth watching only when they can teach something about real life is not convincing.

September 26, 2019 at 1:40 am

Score: 63.8

• Don’t use consecutive sentences starting with the same word.

I will send you screenshots illustrating issues/problems of your essay shortly.

Regards,

Lin Qiu