Some parents offer their school-age children money for each high grade (mark) they get in school. Do you think this is a good idea?

TOEFL, IELTS, Personal Statement and CV Proofreading Services. TOEFL Writing Some parents offer their school-age children money for each high grade (mark) they get in school. Do you think this is a good idea?

• Gu Yunqi
    University: Hangzhou Foreign Languages School
    Nationality: Chinese
    September 13, 2020 at 6:58 am

Some parents offer their school-age children money for each high grade (mark) they get in school. Do you think this is a good idea?

Many people give their priority to the point that parents should not give money for high mark, but I consider that this way of encouragement is definitely advantageous.

Admittedly, considering that children are often not self-disciplined enough and cannot resist the temptation of amusements, offerring money to children may lead to some behavioral problems. Some of the lures today are especially designed for kids, so they may spend too much on entertainment, which distracts them from study. My best friend, Devin, serves as an excellent example here. When we were in elementary school, whereas my parents kept me away from money, his parents would offer him 5 dollors everytime he reached high marks at school. As a result, he often bought some game on Steam and was gradually addicted to computer games. Finally, stuck in the addiction of electronic games, he could not focus on study.

However, I still reckon that the advantages are able to override those drawbacks. The motivating effect of offering money award should be treasured. If children know that they can earn pocket-money by studying diligently and getting good grades at school, they may spend more time on schoolwork rather than idling around or hanging out with friends. My father’s own experience can fully demonstrate this point. In his childhood, he was really fond of soccer and did not want to study at all. My grandpa felt really anxious about his future and promised to award him 4 dollar if he could get full score in any examinations, and allowed him to spend his money freely. Since then, motivated to strive for the number one in the class, my father gradually became the best student in his school.

To put in a nut shell, although offerring money might lead to some potential disadvantages on children, parents should still practice that considering the motivation it brought for study and the capacity to manage money it can help develop.

September 16, 2020 at 9:20 pm

Score: ungraded

Issues:

1. Many sentences are wordy and unclear;
    2. Pay attention to paralleled structure;
    3. About 55% of the sentences exceed 20 words. Shorten/split them.
    4. About 30% of the sentences are passive. Convert some of them into their active counterparts.

I will send you screenshots to illustrate specific problems/errors.