Some people believe that nowadays we have too many choices. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?

TOEFL, IELTS, Personal Statement and CV Proofreading Services. IELTS Writing Some people believe that nowadays we have too many choices. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?

• claire1996
    University: Duke University
    Nationality: Chinese
    October 19, 2020 at 9:02 am

Some people believe that nowadays we have too many choices. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?

With the fast developmentof economy during the past decades, more people in the world enjoy an abundant life than the past. Some express their concern about having too many choices nowadays. From my point of view, I totally agree with this kind of opinion.

Let’s first look into the realm of consumption. It is obvious that the number of product types and brands available in the market has exploded in recent years. A good illustration of this point is online shopping festivals. During these periods, consumers often load their shopping carts with products in a variety of colours and sizes or from different brands and spend long time in making price and quality comparison until they get tired with decision-making. However, people could be more easily content with what they already owned when there were limited opitions for consumption.

Similarly, people are faced with many more choices when choosing their career nowadays. For example, it is common for a senior undergraduate to make decision about whether continuing study in a domestic or foreign institution or entering the job market. Nevertheless, until 40 years ago, job had been assigned to individuals in Mainland China and people had little autonomy in planning their career. This change in the number of career options does not necessarily contribute to people’s satisfaction with their work or study. On contrary, more too often young adults get anxious about their future and are confused about how to choose the most suitable job or programs for themselves.

In sum, I would argue that we are faced with too many choices at present, which is not necessarily a good thing.

October 19, 2020 at 4:16 pm

Score: ungraded

Issues:

1. About 40% of the sentences exceed 20 words. Shorten/split them.
    2. About 20% of the sentences are passive. Convert some of them into their active counterparts.
    3. Preposition errors

I will send you screenshots to illustrate specific problems/errors.