Some people believe the aim of university education is to help graduates get better jobs. Others believe there are much wider benefits of university education for both individuals and society. (Full Score)

TOEFL, IELTS, Personal Statement and CV Proofreading Services. IELTS Writing Samples (Band 9) Some people believe the aim of university education is to help graduates get better jobs. Others believe there are much wider benefits of university education for both individuals and society. (Full Score)

• October 3, 2019 at 3:51 am

IELTS Writing Sample:  Some people believe the aim of university education is to help graduates get better jobs. Others believe there are much wider benefits of university education for both individuals and society. Discuss both views and give your opinion.

This question ultimately relates to the purpose of higher education. In terms of each nation’s development, the higher education system promotes a path towards progress. For example, most of the universities in Mexico are technically oriented and emphasize specific national problems as a means to focus attention on social deficiencies. However, in more developed nations like the United States, most of the education that students receive even while in primary school relates either to citizenship or improving job skills. As such, the question largely depends upon the socioeconomics of the individual nation. 

Another important factor is perhaps the increased presence of military imperatives within the higher education system. Many students in ROTC are already involved in a profession even while attending university. Consequently in modern times the extensive academic emphasis on engineering, math, computers, etc., means that the higher education system itself emphasizes occupational training, which directly translates into potentially better trained corporate, military and blue-collar employees. Of course, there are wider benefits in regard to liberal arts in terms of leadership at the political level, as well as artistic and cultural development.

Be that as it may, my own preference differs entirely from the status quo. For instance, my primary interests are in the Arts. I studied theatre, film, music, drama and literature as an undergraduate. The truth is that nowadays there are significant funding shortages in these areas. For instance, many universities no longer offer extensive foreign language programs. 

I believe that there are negative effects of the global higher educational emphasis upon finding a job after graduation. [261]