The news media plays an important role in modern societies. Why are they important? Do they have a positive or negative influence?

TOEFL, IELTS, Personal Statement and CV Proofreading Services. IELTS Writing The news media plays an important role in modern societies. Why are they important? Do they have a positive or negative influence?

• enj0yit
    University: Sichuan University Jincheng College
    Nationality: China
    May 26, 2020 at 7:59 am

The news media plays an important role in modern societies. Why are they important? Do they have a positive or negative influence?

Nowadays, news media such as newspapers, magazines, TV, and network are important in our society. They have become part of our daily life. Why are they important? Do they have more positive effect than negative one? Here is what I think.

With news media, we can know what happened in the world immediately, so that we can learn more about the world. We can also learn some useful knowledge about science, economics, history and geography in some media outlets, such as The Economists, National Geography, which can expand our horizons. In addition, by reading some English-language media outlets more frequently, we can improve our English skill, including reading and vocabulary. Last but not least, media can also supervise government and offer some useful suggestions to the government.

I hold the view that media have more positive effect than negative one. As I have mentioned above, news media promote the circulation of information effectively, convening the latest information from all over the world. Therefore, they can enrich our knowledge. Although they may have some disadvantage. For instance, some stories in some outlets may be sensational, and some unscrupulous outlets usually distort truth when reporting. Some media outlets are really biased and not report news objectively.

By and large, media are important in our society because they convey the news from all over the world, making it easier for us to know about the world and expand our horizons. Some sensational news outlets may leave us a bad impression on media, but I still think media have more positive effect than negative one.

May 26, 2020 at 1:25 pm

Score: ungraded

Issues:

1. About 30% of the sentences exceed 20 words. Shorten/split them.
    2. The first paragraph contains no content. Rewrite it using YOUR language.
    3. Topic Sentences fail to echo the thesis directly. i.e. With news media, we can know what happened in the world immediately, so that we can learn more about the world.  – First of all, news media/outlets keep us informed of what happens around the world. Why is the 2nd version better? Because the subject of the 2nd version is News Media (the subject of the 1st version is WE), which directly responds to the essay topic.

I will send you screenshots to illustrate specific problems/errors.