It is more important for governments to spend money to improve Internet access than to improve public transportation.

TOEFL, IELTS, Personal Statement and CV Proofreading Services. TOEFL Writing It is more important for governments to spend money to improve Internet access than to improve public transportation.

• rickcai
    University: University of Hong Kong
    Nationality: China
    April 5, 2020 at 2:01 am

It is more important for governments to spend money to improve Internet access than to improve public transportation.

[Begining paragraph…]

In modern society, the Internet has a more important role to play, and thus becomes a necessity for living. For instance, without access to the Internet, you cannot communicate with your colleagues. Neither can you receive instructions from your boss without email, which could get you fired. What’s more, you can’t even obtain another job without looking at the job hunting websites. Although this is an extreme case, it does point out the importance of Internet. Without public transportations, you can walk; but without Internet, there is nowhere to go.

Another important reason for highlighting the importance of improving Internet access is that while public transportations have been mature these days, the access to Internet is still weak and unstable in some places such as rural and remote areas. Not only does Internet shortage occur in remote regions, it also happens in some corners of the cities. It is a more  urgent need to provide residents in these areas with adequate Internet service than public transportations.

Last but not least, the cost of improving Internet access is lower than of constructing public transportations such as subways or highways. A professor once claimed, “you only need a computer and a wire to get online”. That is true not only for the Internet users. Constructing some wires or signal towers leads to a significantly lower expenditure than construction of railways or other passenger transportation systems. That would cause less burden on the governments.

[Last paragraph: sum up]

April 9, 2020 at 12:49 am

Score: 61.2

I will send you screenshots to illustrate specific problems/errors.

rickcai
    University: University of Hong Kong
    Nationality: China
    April 14, 2020 at 7:05 am

[Beginning paragraph…]

Internet is crucial to modern citizens. Nowadays, in large cities of China, almost every store accepts online payment such as Alipay and WeChat Pay. People rarely use cash to pay for goods. Sometimes the shop will even refuse to accept cash since it is troublesome to deal with the change. Therefore, without Internet, you may be unable to buy anything. Moreover, employers nowadays require their staffs to receive instructions through email or chat apps, which means that without access to the Internet, you could even lose your job. Without public transportations, you can walk; but without Internet, there is nowhere to go.

The development of Internet service is unbalanced. In many rural areas, especially in the mountains, residents have no access to Internet. This prevents them from receiving a variety of information, which could have helped them improve their life quality. I still remember the farm-work learning trip organized by my high school, when I lived and worked with a farmer family for seven days. I noticed that the highest technology they were using was the television. They have no Internet access at all. They already have regular bus service, but what they need is Internet. Therefore, I believe that it is an urgent need for governments to invest in improving Internet services.

Some people may argue that public transportations also plays an important role. While this is true to a certain degree, the cost needed to improve Internet and public transportation are different. There is a saying, “you only need a computer and a wire to get online”. The expenditure to construct Internet equipment is obviously lower than to construct a subway line or a cross-province highway. The money government spend to improve Internet services will quickly show its effect.

To sum up, in consideration of the importance of Internet services and the current services provided, I believe that it is more important for governments to give financial support for Internet access than public transportations. If every citizen could have access to the Internet, the country will become stronger in the future.

April 18, 2020 at 3:49 pm

Score: 60.9

Issues:

1. About 15% of the sentences are passive. Convert some of them into their active counterparts.

I will send you screenshots to illustrate specific problems/errors.