Universities should require every student to take a variety of courses outside the student’s field of study.

TOEFL, IELTS, Personal Statement and CV Proofreading Services. GRE Writing Universities should require every student to take a variety of courses outside the student’s field of study.

• kellyhky
    University: USC
    Nationality: China
    May 20, 2020 at 10:18 pm

Universities should require every student to take a variety of courses outside the student’s field of study.

Since many sayings are that well-rounded people are more likely to be successful in the future, it is suggested that students in the university should have other different courses that are not related to their majors. In this case, I mostly disagree with this statement because taking other fields of courses has less efficiency on students’ majors learning and students should have a choice to select which courses they want to have, although it is useful for students to broaden their horizons of the knowledge.

First of all, other fields of courses should not be required because having these courses will decrease students’ efficiency to accomplish their majors. For example, for students who study literature, they will need to spend more time to learn science from the most basic knowledge. If students save this time to focus on their majors, they would have a better performance in their fields of learning. In addition, for science students, their efficiency would be definitely decreased when they have other unfamiliar courses like literature, because they need to accomplish the literature assignments and scientific researches in the same semester. As a student, learning efficiency in one field is more important than learning different fields but do not acquire real knowledge. Therefore, I disagree with the statement that schools should force students to have different fields of courses.

Second, outside majors courses should not be totally mandatory because some students really hope to have these kinds of courses. To illustrate, other majors of courses could be designed as elective courses, so students can decide to choose the course according to their curriculum or their time schedule. What’s more, schools could also suggest students choose at least one course that connects their majors with others, such as, a course about how did science and literature be connected in 19 century. It is a better way for students to choose the course based on their needs and schedule. Thus, I disagree with the statement that students should take other fields of courses.

In conclusion, although have other majors courses could broaden students’ horizons in the field of literature, it is true that requiring these courses compulsively would decline students’ efficiency and interest in the study. Therefore, I disagree with the way of saying that students should be required to have outside fields of courses.

May 21, 2020 at 9:25 pm

Score: 56.5

Issues:

1. About 65% of the sentences exceed 20 words. Shorten/split them.
    2. About 35% of the sentences are passive. Convert some of them into their active counterparts.
    3. Many sentences don’t make sense.

I will send you screenshots to illustrate specific problems/errors.

Tagged: