Some young adults want independence from their parents as soon as possible. Other young adults prefer to live with their family for a longer time. Which of these solutions do you think is better?

TOEFL, IELTS, Personal Statement and CV Proofreading Services. TOEFL Writing Some young adults want independence from their parents as soon as possible. Other young adults prefer to live with their family for a longer time. Which of these solutions do you think is better?

• Anvita
    University: Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore
    Nationality: India
    September 16, 2019 at 2:54 pm

TOEFL Writing Topic: Some young adults want independence from their parents as soon as possible. Other young adults prefer to live with their family for a longer time. Which of these solutions do you think is better? Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

Often when a teenager becomes a young adult, they tend to make decisions of their own. One such decision which a young adult makes is about whether they should live with their family or independent of them. As much as the alternate seems fascinating, I would prefer to live independent of my parents being a young adult.

I believe that living independently provides an individual with a sense of self-dependence in making other decisions too. Once a young adult starts living independently, he starts making his own decisions about other things – which are important for his survival as well as maintaining the continuance of his independence – at an early age. For example, a young adult dwelling independently would have to look after his consumptions, savings, expenditures, etc. He would need to balance them out in order to continue to live further a sustainable life. If the young adult’s expenses become way more than his savings then as a result, he would have to depend on his parents which will defy the goal of being independent with which the young adult started. Hence, the young adult would have to learn on how make appropriate decisions which will help him to continue with his state of independence further, at a young age.

Such self-dependence achieved also helps a person to thrive better and early in his future than a person who has been dependent on his parents since young age. The latter would most importantly lack good judgement of critical situations occurring in his nearing future and would most often seek help from others in order to either make proper decisions or be confident about the decision he makes. On the other hand, the former who already been making such decisions on their own would know how to weigh the merits and demerits of his own decision.

September 18, 2019 at 1:42 am

Score: 58.2

You need to resolve these issues in relation to your essay.

1. Shorten/split most sentences exceeding 20 words;
    2. Restrict each paragraph within 85 words.

I will send you screenshots illustrating errors/problems of your essay. Revise your essay accordingly and then re-submit your essay.

——————–

Below are the notes I shared with several students. Read them:

Notes:

1. All of the prompts are from former TOEFL exams.
    2. The information available online, i.e., Google search results, is either misleading or wrong relative to length: [an organization] states independent essays should be between 280-320 words. More words than needed is equivalent to more opportunities to make a mistake. Students should be informed re: word count, i.e., MORE WORDS does not mean a higher score.
    3. Information concerning paragraphs/content available from [a TOEFL training school], etc. is also wrong: the number of paragraphs is irrelevant and the only important issue re: content is to RESPOND DIRECTLY to the prompt, i.e., the raters/software doesn’t care about structure or content except the latter must Make sense and Must directly respond to the prompt [to preclude prepared essays].
    4. UK usage/spelling is entirely acceptable.
    5. AVOID complex grammar; avoid ‘Chinese English’ usage; 5 tenses: present, past, future, present perfect [have done/has been], and conditional [would go/could do it] are OPTIMAL.
    6. Don’t rewrite the prompt in the first paragraph of your essay…it’s okay to paraphrase [use words that mean the same thing].
    7. Recent TOEFL change…students found test takes too long, so there are fewer multiple-choice questions, i.e., essays are now more heavily ‘weighted’]