Colleges and universities should require their students to spend at least one semester studying in a foreign country

TOEFL, IELTS, Personal Statement and CV Proofreading Services. GRE Writing Colleges and universities should require their students to spend at least one semester studying in a foreign country

• July 23, 2022 at 4:00 pm

Colleges and universities should require their students to spend at least one semester studying in a foreign country.

While I agree that it will be beneficial for the students to study in a foreign country for some time, I don’t agree that the college should make it mandatory for the student to go abroad. The colleges and universities should encourage rather than require the students to do so, for the following reasons.

Studying abroad makes the students learn different culture, realize educational difference and gain the ability of independence. In an environment that the students are not familiar with, they will observe the difference between the new culture and their original ones. By learning the new environment and interacting with the people from various backgrounds, they will have a broader eye-sight when seeing the same things. Also, beyond the family support, the students will learn how to solve the problems in their daily lives on their own. Students will not only strengthen their skills for living, but also build a stronger inner support to themselves. This will make them more independent from the mental and behavioral aspects.

Living in a foreign country also help the students obtain the ability to a second language. Having a second language will increase their opportunity of getting an ideal career after graduation. When the students need to solve their daily needs and socialize by not using their mother language, they will be forced to digest and make a use of the new language. It will be indeed faster to understand a new language by living in that country than studying on books only.

However, some may claim that students have spend enough efforts and time on their school work, and there is no spare time for them to study abroad. Indeed, students may already have heavy courses in the colleges, and some of them even have to attend contests or achieve internships for the scholarship. If the colleges require them to spend another few years in a foreign country, it may interrupt their learning and thus become a extra burden for them.

Moreover, not every student has enough financial support to stay in another country. Even if the colleges and universities can provide financial support, it is impossible for them to cover all the fees for all students. The living cost in some countries may be costly and becomes a significant burden for the students. Even if the students finally fly to that country, they may reduce their budget in order to spend the least money, and in the end discount the effect of learning.

Therefore, I contend that colleges and universities should encourage students to study in a foreign country, but not require them.

July 25, 2022 at 2:20 am

Thanks. Please add my WeChat account.