In many countries, more and more people are competing for a place to study in universities. Why does this happen? Do you think this is a positive or negative development?

TOEFL, IELTS, Personal Statement and CV Proofreading Services. IELTS Writing In many countries, more and more people are competing for a place to study in universities. Why does this happen? Do you think this is a positive or negative development?

• wynton7
    University: Anhui University
    Nationality: Chinese
    November 9, 2019 at 9:21 am

IELTS Task 2: In many countries, more and more people are competing for a place to study in universities. Why does this happen? Do you think this is a positive or negative development?

Today, the difficulty of entering the college is rising,there are many applicants compete for one place. I think the main reason is that people’s ideas are deeply influenced by the development of knowledge-based economy.To my knowledge, there are both positive and negative effects.

The modern era requires that every society member need to acquire compound skills. University is a suitable place for students to develop their skills, especially the independent thinking skills. Undeniably, the number of these high education institutions is limited, so people should try their best to get the opportunity to get access to the college rather than just meet the lowest admission requirements. Also, completing a higher education and have a degree or certification is a proof of the ability, this means that youngsters have to join this competition for the recognition by their future boss.

On the one hand, these developments can be extremely positive.Those fierce competitions force people to improve themselves constantly. comparing with before, modern people obviously have more knowledge and skills, they are more adaptive to this fast-pace society, and they are more sensitive to some new things. On the other hand, the strong competitive psychology will make people more isolate, in other words, they may be more likely to identify other people as competitors than friends, which could lead to a negative outcome that the relationship between the society members will be increasingly estranged.

In conclusion, this trend of increasing competition in college entrance result from the development of the knowledge-based economy,and I think the tendency will be intensified continuously.However,not all of the outcomes of this competition have been positive.

November 16, 2019 at 2:30 am

Score: 32.6

Issues:

1. About 2/3 sentences exceed 20 words. Shorten/split them.
    2. Many passive sentences; convert them into their active counterparts.

I will send you screenshots to illustrate specific errors/problems.