Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? It is better to work for business owned by someone else than to work for the business of one’s own family.

TOEFL, IELTS, Personal Statement and CV Proofreading Services. TOEFL Writing Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? It is better to work for business owned by someone else than to work for the business of one’s own family.

• huarq28
    University: the University of Hong Kong
    Nationality: Chinese
    December 21, 2019 at 3:32 am

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? It is better to work for business owned by someone else than to work for the business of one’s own family.

When it comes to working in family business or business owned by someone else, people share different opinions. It is undeniable that working for business owned by someone else seems to be a more solid proof of one’s ability. But for me, I still believe it’s better to work for the business of one’s own family because of family business’s familiarity, flexibility and more resources.

For starters, working for the business of one’s own family means working on a more familiar area. If I work for my own family’s business, I don’t need to make extra efforts on getting myself familiar with the company’s culture or its unique business style. Because of family business’s familiarity, I can quickly find my position and start to work in a comfortable manner without worrying about not being able to fit into the business’s culture. This will allow me to spend time on something more important such as learning manage skills or improve professional abilities.

Also worth mentioning, working for family business is more flexible. There won’t be any strict and unreasonable attendance record restricting my work time. I can have a more flexible timetable which allows me to work more attentively and act with clearer purpose. It will be very inconvenient if work for other’s company. Take my aunt as an example. She works for business owned by someone else. Last year, she was pregnant, but she didn’t ask for a leave immediately for fear that she might get fired by the company. After being permitted for a leave, she still needed to get through many tedious procedures to get her work transferred well. If she works for family business, she can just stay at home as she wishes and no need to worry about her work.

Finally, working for family business can provide me with more resources. Since many of my family members may work in the same business, I can get much help from them who must be more experienced than I am. I may also get some valuable opportunities such as working on a project that is good for my development. Such resources are what I couldn’t have or get by great efforts in a business owned by someone else. But in a family business, I can easily get the precious resources and thus have more chances to prove myself.

In conclusion, my standpoint is clear that it’s better working for a family business for the sake of its familiarity, flexibility as well as resources that it can provide.

January 14, 2020 at 10:55 pm

Score: 63.2

This essay does not meet the length requirement. (280 – 320 words).  Revise it and then resubmit it.