It is more important for students to understand ideas and concepts than it is for them to learn facts.

TOEFL, IELTS, Personal Statement and CV Proofreading Services. TOEFL Writing It is more important for students to understand ideas and concepts than it is for them to learn facts.

• admwyx
    University: HangZhouDianZi University
    Nationality: HangZhouDianZi University
    February 12, 2020 at 1:51 pm

It is more important for students to understand ideas and concepts than it is for them to learn facts.

Obviously, any concepts are developed beyond facts. In other words, concepts are built to illustrate ideas and opinions that we humans see or hear about this world. In this case, we can tell that the final purpose for us to learn about any concepts is to learn from the facts, which is more important.

To begin with, facts are more comprehensive. A concept is highly simplified since it has to describe a kind of phenomenon with limited words, which makes it more abstract and harder to understand. On the contrary, people can learn easier and faster from the facts. For example, if you try to learn how to ride bikes from book, then I think you will not succeed because even you have read how to keep your balance, or how to move the pedals, your bodies can not behave well enough unless you really use them to ride a real bicycle. Once you have tried how to ride them and continue to practice, without any concepts, you will end up learning it in a short period of time.

Secondly, facts tell the truth. There is a saying goes:” a thousand readers, a thousand Hamlets”, which illustrates a simple theory, that we always add our opinions on facts and make an objective thing into subjective. We can’t guarantee that all the concepts that we are learning are right: writers of textbooks will also make mistakes, news could be added with misleading information. For students who are weak in recognizing what is true it’s more important for them to learn from facts, and use their brains to process them into their knowledge.

From my experience, concepts are easiest to learn, while very few of us take actions and deep into facts to learn more about concepts. Understanding ideas or opinions, in essence, means that you have just begun to learn a new thing, you have to learn more from facts afterwards. That’s why I truly believe that it is more important for students to learn from facts.

February 12, 2020 at 11:04 pm

Score: ungraded

Issues:

1. Nearly 60% of the sentences exceed 20 words. Shorten/split them.
    2. Convert passive sentences into their active counterparts.

I will send you screenshots to illustrate specific problems/errors.

admwyx
    University: HangZhouDianZi University
    Nationality: HangZhouDianZi University
    February 13, 2020 at 5:50 am

Concepts are developed beyond facts. In other words, we use concepts to illustrate ideas and opinions that we see or hear about this world. However, the purpose that we learn about concepts is to have more understanding of facts and the real world. That’s why I believe that it is more important to learn from facts, rather than any concepts or so.

To begin with, facts are more comprehensive. Concept are simplified and abstract since they have to describe a kind of phenomenon with limited words. It’s hard for us to learn from concepts with no relation to the real world. For example, if you try to learn how to ride bikes from books, then you will not achieve it. Though you have read how to keep your balance, or how to move the pedals, your bodies gain no practice from the real world. Once you start riding, your bodies will guide you. You may lose your balance at first time and fall down, but your bodies will make adjustment quickly till you complete learning it.

Secondly, facts tell the truth. A saying goes:” a thousand readers, a thousand Hamlets”, demonstrating that people always add their opinions into objective world. Thus, we can’t guarantee that all the concepts that we are learning have no prejudice or bias: writers will make mistakes, news may contain misleading information. Absorbing these concepts, indeed, does no good to formation of our world’s view. Besides, students are weak in recognizing what is true. They should learn from facts and use their brains to process them into their knowledge.

From my experience, concepts are easiest to learn. Understanding ideas or opinions, in essence, means that you have just begun to learn a new thing. However, very few of us take actions and deep into facts to learn more. Students have time, as well as passion, they should seize this opportunity to understand this world. Therefore, I truly believe that it is predominant for students to learn from facts.

February 13, 2020 at 5:52 am

You need to remove all the unreadable codes.

February 17, 2020 at 10:56 pm

Score: 71.5

Concepts are developed beyond facts. In other words, we use concepts to illustrate ideas and opinions that we see or hear about this world. However, the purpose that we learn about concepts is to have [use concrete verb  ]more [inappropriate word  ] understanding of facts and the real world. That’s why I believe that it is more important to learn from facts, [ punctuation error ]rather than any concepts or so.

To begin with, facts are more comprehensive. Concept are [ grammatical error ]simplified and abstract since they [ inconsistent word form ] have to describe (a kind of) [wordy  ] phenomenon with limited words. It’s hard for us to learn from concepts (with no relation) [ wordy ] to the real world. For example, if you [ inconsistency with person ] try to learn how to ride bikes from books, then you [ inconsistency in person ]will not achieve it [unclear pronoun  ]. Though you [ inconsistency in person ] have read how to keep your balance, or how to move the pedals, your bodies gain no practice from the real world. Once you start riding, your bodies will guide you. You may lose your balance at [article error  ]first time and fall down, but your bodies will make [article error  ] adjustment quickly till you complete learning it.

Secondly, facts tell the truth. A saying goes:” a thousand readers, a thousand Hamlets”, demonstrating that people always add their opinions into [ article error ] objective world. Thus, we can’t guarantee that all the concepts that we are learning have no prejudice or bias: writers will make mistakes, [ punctuation error ]news may contain misleading information. Absorbing these concepts, indeed, does no good to [  article error]formation of our world’s view. Besides, students are weak in recognizing what is true. They should learn from facts and use their brains to process them into their knowledge.

From my experience, concepts are easiest to learn. Understanding ideas or opinions, in essence, means that you have just begun to learn a new thing. However, very few of us take actions and deep [grammatical error  ]into facts to learn more. [ lack connection from the prior sentence ]Students have time, as well as passion, they should seize this opportunity to understand this world. Therefore, I truly believe that it is predominant for students to learn from facts.

Writing Tips

1. Absolute Statement: Avoid using absolute statement.
    2. ARTICLE ERROR: errors concerning a, an, the. This is a prominent issue for Chinese students. Make sure to add/remove/change articles considering a specific context.
    3. BE VERBS: BE verbs are dull and vague. Use concrete verbs to replace BE verbs whenever needed. I.E. commercials are beneficial to children. – Commercials benefit children.
    4. COHERENCE: To improve the natural flow from one sentence to the other, make the subject of a sentence echo the subject, or the object, of the last sentence.
    5. COORDINATING CONJUNCTION error: In formal writing, a comma is needed when the 7 coordinating words (for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so – FANBOYS) are connecting sentences/clauses.
    6. Effectiveness: use verbs instead of BE+adjectives to improve effectiveness.
    7. Grammatical Errors: grammatical mistakes.
    8. It + Be + Verb:  Wordy.
    9. Logical confusion. Although a sentence is grammatically correct, often it is logically/factually confusing. Having written a sentence, ask yourself if the sentence is logically complete, and/or factually true.
    10. NOT problem. Experienced writers often avoid using NOT in English writing. I.e. Jack was very upset because he had not passed the GRE test. – I.e. Jack was very upset because he had failed the GRE test.
    11. PASSIVE VOICE: In many cases, clarity suffers when using passive voice. In particular linguistic contexts, using passive voice is fine.
    12. Semicolon: Use a semicolon in front of an adverb/adverbial phrase.
    13. Subjunctive: Memorize the grammatical rules for subjunctive mood.
    14. There Be Sentence: Wordy
    15. Unclear Pronouns: A pronoun (it, this, that, they, them., etc) unclearly refers to the prior content. For example, the first sentence contains two singular nouns, so IT in the second sentence can refer either of them.
    16. Unparalleled Structure:  use paralleled structures, including tense.
    17. VERBOSE: The sentence/phrase can be simplified.
    18. WEAK VERBS: an alternative verb may help improve sentence effectiveness and clarity. The Internet makes us know many things. – The Internet helps us (to) know many things.