In many countries today, people in cities either live alone or in small family units, rather than in large, extended family groups. Is this a positive or negative trend?

TOEFL, IELTS, Personal Statement and CV Proofreading Services. IELTS Writing In many countries today, people in cities either live alone or in small family units, rather than in large, extended family groups. Is this a positive or negative trend?

• Cathy
    University: LSE
    Nationality: Chinese
    April 18, 2020 at 3:58 pm

In many countries today, people in cities either live alone or in small family units, rather than in large, extended family groups. Is this a positive or negative trend?

Nowadays, people worldwide in urban areas mostly live by themselves or with their core family, instead of living in family groups which contain a number of members. In my opinion, this is a normal trend.

Living independently could help developing life skills and allow people to have time by their own. For example, paying electricity bills and doing house chorse are usually to be done by elder members in the family. If we live alone, this woud be our duty to take care of trivial things on a daily basis. Fewer people live in a house would leave enough space for each other. Parents could enjoy watching TV while their children could study in a quiet room where is far away from disruptions. In contrast, for extended family groups, plenty of noisy sources could be distruptive.

However, in a big family group, you can communicate with many people everyday and strengthen family connection. Elderly people would provide invaluable experences and wise advice. This could help us to build a holistic overlook and values of the world and point out the right direction when we feel lost. Sharing stories and helping each other would create bonds. I have beeing having a good with my cousins and getting much cheers in a big family of 16 members. The beaming atmosphere empowers my to be more confident to face any unseen challenge.

To summarise, living with many family members or not depends on the relationship between you and your family and personal preferences. I think this is a normal trend as people have to migrate to other cities in order to pursuit a brighter future and leave their family behind. But if there is a choice, they should have the freedom to choose whatever life style suits them.

April 20, 2020 at 4:32 pm

Score: ungraded

Issues:

1. Extensive grammatical errors.

I will send you screenshots to illustrate specific problems/errors.