Should universities require all the students to have history courses no matter what their fields of study are?

TOEFL, IELTS, Personal Statement and CV Proofreading Services. TOEFL Writing Should universities require all the students to have history courses no matter what their fields of study are?

• niuxinyue
    University: 北京物资学院
    Nationality: China
    August 8, 2021 at 9:04 am

Should universities require all the students to have history courses no matter what their fields of study are?

University education has been long taken as elite education where students spend four years diving into subjects they major in and become experts in respective fields. Some people claims that university should require all the students to have history courses no matter what the their fields of the study are. As far as I am concerned, I definitely disagree with this idea.

Firstly, having history courses is worthless for students who are major in math and engineering. Students who are major in math and engineering have a lot of math and physics assignments which are difficult to learn and spend a lot of time to finish . So they really don’t have any spare time to take other courses. Also actually they don’t need to know and use the history knowledge in their future when they are work. If they take the history course, they will waste a lot of time and energy to attend the class and do homework. Therefore, they don’t have enough time to take other major classes, which students can’t get a good job when they graduate.

Secondly, if students have to take the history courses, they can’t take courses which that are interested in. Some students are not interested in or even hate history. If they take the history course, it occupy the time and credit to attend other course which they actually are favor in. Taking myself for example, I don’t like history since I was a teenager. But history is my required course when I was in high school. Every time when I had to take history class, I felt exhausted and couldn’t focus on the class. But I love playing piano very much. Because I have to have history course, I didn’t have other time to learn how to play piano. It is still a pity in my life.

August 8, 2021 at 8:23 pm

Invalid [Complete the revision of your first essay prior to working on the next one.]