Statement of Purpose for Electronic and Electrical Engineering PhD

TOEFL, IELTS, Personal Statement and CV Proofreading Services. Statement of Purpose with samples Statement of Purpose for Electronic and Electrical Engineering PhD

• chnlqsray
    University: SCUT
    Nationality: Chinese
    August 15, 2021 at 1:59 pm

A majority number of researchers have put their attention on photonics these years. Notable photonics-related research themes include display and imaging, telecommunications, and THz. Compared with conventional electronic counterparts, photonic systems are faster and more efficient in computing and signal processing. Furthermore, photonics is the only technology with the physical headroom to meet an exponentially growing demand for communicating information. Under such a global context, I have developed a specific interest in photonic bandgap materials. As a result, it comes naturally to me to pursue a Ph.D. degree in the Electronic and Electrical Engineering Department in terms of Photonics.

My graduate study started from a textbook named Periodic Materials and Interference Lithography (Edwin L. Thomas). This book has enabled me to gain an initial insight into photonic bandgap (PBG) materials. I once emailed the author to discuss a multi-PBG problem, which later became my main interest. To deepen my understanding of PBG materials, I finished reading two other reference books mentioned below. Photonic Crystals: Molding the Flow of Light has motivated me to get familiar with the bandgap theory in Solid State Physics; From Photonic Crystals: Physics and Practical Modeling, I have acquired knowledge about relevant modeling algorithms.

I have participated in several research programs up to now. I spent my first academic year researching the triple-PBG behaviours of one-dimensional photonic crystals (1D PCs) under the supervision of Prof. Tao Wen and Prof. Rui Zhang. During this time, I have improved my literature searching skills by utilizing two powerful tools: SciFinder and Web of Science. Meanwhile, I have added Matlab programming into my skill set for a series of theoretical calculations in this program. At last, I drafted a manuscript entitled XXX. Recently, I have submitted the latest manuscript to arXiv.

Currently, I am investigating the color mixing effect resulted from the multi-PBG phenomena of 1D PCs (independent research). To perform a colorimetric analysis, I have acquired knowledge about CIE chromaticity coordinates. In addition, I have made a MATLAB program to directly convert some reflection spectrum into corresponding CIE 1931 xy coordinates. This program can generate results as exact as online CIE converters. Meanwhile, I have enhanced my ability to use the ColorCalculator software for observing the pattern formed by CIE coordinates. I have also drafted a manuscript entitled XXX and submitted it to arXiv.

In my spare time, I love playing badminton and have joined our School Badminton Team. Besides, I am keen on doing voluntary services and have volunteered over 335 hours among 21 activities on record. I am also fond of reading science books, from which I have cultivated a curiosity about the Ising model and the Landau theory.

Based on previous experiences, I am particularly eager to continue research on photonic crystals (calculation & theory). I am also willing to explore other topics such as displays, sensors, and liquid crystals. Your Ph.D. program would enable me to gain knowledge of putting photonic systems into practical use. Moreover, it could offer me opportunities to network with the world outside academia via mechanisms like Knowledge Transfer programmes. This Ph.D. would be significant for me to pursue a career as an optical engineer in the future. Prof. XXX’s group is ideal for my ambition because its main research interests are theoretical and computational nanophotonics.

Tagged: