The extended family is less important than it was in the past.

TOEFL, IELTS, Personal Statement and CV Proofreading Services. TOEFL Writing The extended family is less important than it was in the past.

• Aizi
    University: Tongji University
    Nationality: China
    August 7, 2020 at 2:50 pm

Do you agree or disagree? The extended family (grandparents, aunt, uncle, cousins) is less important than it was in the past.

Four generations living under one roof used to be a common social phenomenon, but can’t be seen nowadays. In extended family, grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins live in one house. However, the nuclear family has replaced the role of extended family gradually. From my point of view, I agree with the point that the extended family is less important than it was before from two aspects of reasons below.

First, the risks we have to resist relaying on the big family have decreased with the development of productivity. In the past, we have to live together to gain the maximum benefit and resist risks together and help each other to conquer difficulties. However, it’s obvious that we don’t have to live together now, because we live in a more advanced and comfortable society. Even we are willing to help our relativies, we have no need to live with them.

Second, people nowadays are more self-centered, which means we pay less attention on others. According to a survey on the Internet, 67% of people are more tend to stay alone or with their nuclear family members, instead of other relativies. It’s obvious that paying attention on more people will consume more of our energy. In consequence, we just have no desire or tendency to live or keep in touch with those extended family members.

Last but not least, the living form has changed so that we have no condition to live in an extended family. With the development of architecture, there are more separated houses building, and the big houses with large yards which can support the living condition of extended family has been replaced. Even if we want to live with our elder generations, we can’t find an appropriate house for the whole family to live in. Without enough living space, an big extended family can’t be supported.

In conclusion, I, personally approve that extended families have been gradually replaced by nuclear families with the time developing.  This change reflects the development of productivity and society, which is a good thing.

August 13, 2020 at 6:52 pm

Score: ungraded

Issues:

1. About 35% of the sentences exceed 20 words. Shorten/split them.
    2. Article errors
    3. Wordy – remove unnecessary words
    4. Spelling errors
    5. Punctuation errors

I will send you screenshots to illustrate specific problems/errors.