The money spent by government on space programs would be better spent on vital public services such as schools and hospitals. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

TOEFL, IELTS, Personal Statement and CV Proofreading Services. IELTS Writing The money spent by government on space programs would be better spent on vital public services such as schools and hospitals. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

• Evelyn_
    University: Shandong Normal University
    Nationality: China
    September 8, 2021 at 8:53 am

Some people argue that the government should spend money on vital public services as opposed to space programs. While there are some benefits to investing in the space industry, I completely agree that investment in public services would be a better idea.

There are several reasons why spending money on space programs should not be prioritized. Firstly, the costly industry increases the burden on taxpayers. Space programs are too expensive due to the complicated manufacturing process of precise facilities and the development of advanced technology. Secondly, space exploration seems useless to normal life even though it deepens human’s understanding of the universe.  Finally, there is a high risk of accidents, sometimes even the cost of lives. For example, in 1986, although engineers made great preparation for launching, the Challenger space shuttle exploded suddenly, which resulted in all the seven astronauts’ death.

On the contrary, I definitely advocate that it is far more meaningful to give financial assistance on the construction of public programs. On the one hand, compared with the exploitation of space, everyone benefits from public services such as well-developed transport networks, healthcare, children’s education and so on, which will immensely raise people’s standard of living. On the other hand, public programs help to achieve an urban-rural balance. If more hospitals, schools and roads are constructed in poor areas, I firmly believe that economic development will be speeded up. By contrast, without this infrastructure, local development faces more difficulties.

In conclusion, to my point of view, the government should spend more money on public services instead of wasting money and resources on space programs.

September 8, 2021 at 11:49 am