Some parents offer their school-age children money for each high grade (mark) they get in school. Do you think this is a good idea?Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

TOEFL, IELTS, Personal Statement and CV Proofreading Services. TOEFL Writing Some parents offer their school-age children money for each high grade (mark) they get in school. Do you think this is a good idea?Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

• AliceHuang
    University: Shanghai Normal University
    Nationality: Chinese
    July 28, 2020 at 6:06 am

Many parents give their school-age children money as a reward of excellent mark they get at school. They consider it an effective way to encourage children to study hard. However, from my perspective, it’s not a good idea to do so. Parents should offer children pocket money regularly and reward them when they behave well in a comprehensive way.

Children could learn to manage money from an early age if they get pocket money regularly. It could help them cultivate the awareness of financial management, which is useful to their future life. Take my elder sister as an example. When she was a middle-school student, our parents offered her a small amount of pocket money every month and told her to manage it herself. As a student, she spent part of it buying notebooks, and saved the rest. Month by month, she owned a large amount of money in the end. Now she has already been an employee of a big company. Similarly, she spent part of her salary purchasing what she likes, and saved the rest in her account so that she is financially prepared for any kind of accidents which may happen in the life. In contrast, if children get money for each high score, they may consider it an occasional reward, thus consuming it in a short time. Therefore, to school-age children, owning monthly pocket money is a better choice.

AliceHuang
    University: Shanghai Normal University
    Nationality: Chinese
    July 28, 2020 at 6:06 am

Also, children are motivated to cultivate virtues if they get reward for good behavior other than the high grade. For instance, my parents never give me money for my high scores, but they give me money when I give a hand to others. Last summer I took part in a communal activity in our neighborhood. There I assisted community workers to take care of the disabilities. I baked for them in the kitchen and accompanied them in the park. My parents praised me, saying they were proud of me, and also gave me some money as a reward. This encouraged me and devoted me to more public events. Since then, I have engaged similar activities much more frequently. Therefore, rewarding children for their good behavior is more meaningful than just for their high scores.

In conclusion, parents could teach children how to manage wealth through regular pocket money. Besides, parents could cultivate children’s good manners if they reward them for positive behavior instead of high grades. In one word, the ability to manage personal finance and virtuous qualities are really essential to teenagers, even more important than the high marks in school.

July 28, 2020 at 10:05 pm

Invalid [You need to complete the revision of the other essay prior to resubmitting this one.]